With the Christmas season in full swing, it’s easy to forget about healthy eating and go straight for the candy. But, keeping a nutritious balanced diet doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite Christmas foods. Check out these healthified festive treats that both your taste buds and body will love!
Banana Santa Pancakes
Traditional pancakes may not be the healthiest option, but these 2 ingredient flour-free ones sure are! And, if you really want to get in the Christmas spirit, feel free to add in some festive spices to your batter too.
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
1. Mash the banana with a fork and add to a bowl.
2. Whisk the eggs and add them to the banana paste.
3. Mix together and fry in a pan on medium-low heat.
4. Decorate with fruit, berries and some sugar-free whipped cream to turn your pancake stack into Santa himself!
Apple Cider Cups
This homemade apple cider is not only quick and easy to whip up, but it’s also loaded with vitamin rich fruits, and spices that help regulate your blood sugar, improve your digestion and boost your immune system.
- 4 cups freshly made apple juice (4-6 apples depending on your juicer)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 Chinese star anise
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ orange, thinly sliced
- Apples to serve in
1. Cut off the tops of some apples and carve the filling. These apple cups are perfect for impressing your guests, plus, you can use the carved filling to make the juice.
2. Juice the apples and carved filling and place the juice in a saucepan.
3. Add cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves, anise, ginger and lemon zest.
4. Cover and heat on low-medium heat for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t start to boil – that way the enzymes and nutrients will stay intact.
5. During the last 5 minutes, add in the orange slices.
6. Remove from heat and strain the juice to remove spices and fruits.
7. Pour the cider into the apple cups.
Love eating raw gingerbread dough? Skip the guilt (and stomach ache) with these healthy energy-packed gingerbread balls that taste just like the real deal.
- 1 cup loosely packed pitted dates
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- ¼ tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp water
1. Place the oats in a blender and pulse until they turn into a powder.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend to form a dough.
3. Roll the dough into balls and store in the fridge.